An unprecedented number of house burglaries and thefts from out-buildings have been reported in Woodnesborough since the dark evenings have drawn in. A popular time for the burglars seems to be evenings – particularly when the weather is windy/rainy.
To help deter the burglars and avoid you becoming a victim:
- Keep your house and car keys safe and out of site (preferably in a key safe).
- Lock doors, windows and close curtains/blinds when it is dark outside.
- Keep valuables/wallets/purses out of sight and at this time of year, keep wrapped presents hidden away until Christmas morning.
- Be aware of any strange callers at your front door (fit a door security chain).
- Lock and alarm sheds and out-buildings (a basic shed/garage alarm costs as little as ten pounds).
- Chain and padlock garden mowers/strimmers and similar tools to the wall. If your shed/garage walls are not very robust, chain the tools together to make them awkward to remove.
- If you see anything suspicious, report immediately to the police by dialing 111 (the non-emergency line).
And, add a comment to this blog if you do see anything out of the ordinary.